The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
DK Customs
Fix My Hog
RYCA Motors

Dead Creek Cycles
Tags
fram oil filters

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2010
Knows a thing or two

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud of
Question FRAM oil filters?

Weary of going 150 miles round trip over a mountain pass to visit our 'local' dealer, I picked up a FRAM oil filter at Lordco the other day. Fram's catalogue says it'll fit my XL, but it's about an inch shorter than the H-D one I'm replacing.

Question is: Have any members had experience with FRAMs on their Sportsters?
Wiseco K1655s; Joker Machine AC; SE 'SP' muffs w/ Cycle Shack baffles; OEM SHOCKS on Tamarack -1" blocks; Metz 880s (110x19; 160x15) on laced wheels; Progressive fork springs; 4.5 gal tank; ReddTigger Mod Gauge Mount System...

See thread http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1102057 for a "pictorial history".
Old 21st February 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

Did you get the chrome one or the orange one?

It should be a PH6022 or the PH6065A.
Old 21st February 2010
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Lad View Post
Weary of going 150 miles round trip over a mountain pass to visit our 'local' dealer, I picked up a FRAM oil filter at Lordco the other day. Fram's catalogue says it'll fit my XL, but it's about an inch shorter than the H-D one I'm replacing.

Question is: Have any members had experience with FRAMs on their Sportsters?
I run one...I think its a 6022? (not sure...can't see the number right now)

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 21st February 2010
Knows a thing or two

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud of

ORANGE?? They didn't tell me they had ORANGE!!
PH6022 (Black w/ silver words, which just happens to be my colour scheme!).

But have you experienced the joys and heartache of FRAM???
Old 21st February 2010

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

I have seen guys run a f-150 oil filter in place of the Harley one, it was a trick question to see if they sold you the wrong filter.

Yes, the PH6022 is a 27 micron filter that will be just fine, the PH6065A is the longer one for EVO BT's, but will work just fine on a sporty as well, and is in there catalog as well.
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st February 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S2T "Aurora"
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Phelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to behold

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but Fram filters are JUNK compared to any others out there. The keepers are made of cardboard. Other'n that, they're a decent filter. I'd recommend a Purolator Pure One filter. I have an oversized variant on mine, PL30001, and holds about 3/4 qt more than the original filters, which is great because the Buell originally only held less than 2.5 quarts. There is a comparison of filters somewhere online, but I can't remember where. The purolator filter had the second-best filtration, barely behind the Amsoil filter, but had almost double the flow rate of the Amsoil filter. The Amsoil filter has a significantly lower flow rate than the other filters because of it's unique media in the filter, hence the exceptionally better filtration.
Old 21st February 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S2T "Aurora"
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Phelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post
I have seen guys run a f-150 oil filter in place of the Harley one, it was a trick question to see if they sold you the wrong filter.

Yes, the PH6022 is a 27 micron filter that will be just fine, the PH6065A is the longer one for EVO BT's, but will work just fine on a sporty as well, and is in there catalog as well.
As long as the ringseal and the threads are the same, any size filter will fit and perform. I dunno if there is room in the sporty frames, but I've seen tons of Buellers running the larger filters, like the PH8. If you're going to get a Fram filter, you might as well get a WalMart (SuperTech) filter, because it is the same thing, just cheaper. I used to work at the WalMart Tire-Lube-Express.
Old 21st February 2010
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

I feel the same way about oil filters that I do about spark plugs...

One should use them...

Old 21st February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelan View Post
As long as the ringseal and the threads are the same, any size filter will fit and perform. I dunno if there is room in the sporty frames, but I've seen tons of Buellers running the larger filters, like the PH8. If you're going to get a Fram filter, you might as well get a WalMart (SuperTech) filter, because it is the same thing, just cheaper. I used to work at the WalMart Tire-Lube-Express.
Yes, it will fit, and it will just fine right up until the time it's not, then your screwed.
Fram will not help you if a Car oil filter fails and destroys your Motorcycle engine, because they will say it was not the listed filter for your engine.
And they are not built the same, one is made to flow 20/50 and one is made to flow 5-10/30. The bypass valve will be set wrong as well, in most cases the oil being to thick will just bypass the media and go right around it.

I have never understood the mentality of owning an expensive machine, spend every dime to make it better, and then try to save 5 bucks on a wrong oil filter and ruin a 5-6k engine.

Sportlad, you can call All American Harley in Albany Oregon and buy some filters and have them mailed to you.
This Month there 30% off.
Old 21st February 2010

[QUOTE=Phelan;2455511]I don't mean to be a party pooper, but Fram filters are JUNK compared to any others out there. The keepers are made of cardboard./QUOTE]

That maybe true of there CAR oil filters, but I have cut open many of the PH6065A's and there actually a very nice one. They have a metal top cap that holds the media in place top and bottom with a large spring for the relief valve and silicon flapper valve.

I read those same web sites, and since i was using one on my 1988 sporty, I cut it open to check, waited a perfectly good filter.

These days, i use only the Harley (Champion labs) Super 5, a synthetic media that filters @ 5 micron with a 60 psi bypass valve.
It is the one made for the twin cam engine, while you could use it on the Sproty engine, the Sporty engine is designed to use a 30 minimum filter, so a Fram !@ 27 or the Harley (Champion labs) one @ 28.
Know Thy Hog