The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Durockrolly (56), xlch1973 (52), ehenry (50), 100thHugger (49), evobrian (47), jethrosurfs (42), Chris B. (38), Ebmomma (38)
Lickscycles
RYCA Motors
Hammer Performance
DK Customs

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold

Pieces of history!

VERY NICE!
Old 8th March 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR DICK View Post
hey moon, speakin of 1yr only. the early 57s didnt use rocker bushings. and used tappet rollers with no needles. as well as those 1 11/16 intake valve heads (oh how i kick my self for offing them) and "free rotating" exhaust valves ala panhead. and hard faced skidshoe.
1957 Sportsters are like '36 Knucks in that dozens of changes were made during the year. So in some cases you not only have one-year parts, you have one-month parts.

For instance, there are actually three versions of the one-year only choke lever. And you don't have to tell me about the valves--I just had mine apart and (with my limited mechanical ability) had to figure out how to put them back together! The passenger mounts are one year only. The carburetor is one year only (the real 1957 DC-1 doesn't even have the patent info on the float bowl).

The cams are not a one piece machining either--they have a Woodruff key

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 8th March 2011

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

what your lookin at here is a -54r rear brake drum.(that some hero figured that just chroming it wasnt enuff wrecking, it needed to get holes drilled in random locations too.) these were made for use on krtt/xlrtt. but many found thier way onto the street. because of direct interchange with production drum. the full assm used 1 1/2" wide shoes in place of the 1" wide production. these wider shoes were carried on a reinforced backplate. the improvement over the stock units is astounding. better feel&feedback, way more powerful, and fade proof. guys who ride above the treeline really like that. im puttin it here so you can reconize if you ever get a chance buy one. they do turn up. came with either 51t(-30/-70) 50t(r part #) or 49t(-54).

the smaller primary sprocket is the quasi-mythical solid 30t splined (-54 ithink used on 54 kh) but fits to xl. other is std 34t ch for comparision.
Old 8th March 2011

Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR DICK View Post

what your lookin at here is a -54r rear brake drum.(that some hero figured that just chroming it wasnt enuff wrecking, it needed to get holes drilled in random locations too.) these were made for use on krtt/xlrtt. but many found thier way onto the street. because of direct interchange with production drum. the full assm used 1 1/2" wide shoes in place of the 1" wide production. these wider shoes were carried on a reinforced backplate. the improvement over the stock units is astounding. better feel&feedback, way more powerful, and fade proof. guys who ride above the treeline really like that. im puttin it here so you can reconize if you ever get a chance buy one. they do turn up. came with either 51t(-30/-70) 50t(r part #) or 49t(-54).

the smaller primary sprocket is the quasi-mythical solid 30t splined (-54 ithink used on 54 kh) but fits to xl. other is std 34t ch for comparision.
That's great info, Doc. I'd love to have one of those, but I guess you need the shoes too. The brakes on my bikes are marginal at best. That's another reason I don't buy a new bike. The good brakes would spoil me.
Old 8th March 2011

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Wolf View Post
That's great info, Doc. I'd love to have one of those, but I guess you need the shoes too. The brakes on my bikes are marginal at best. That's another reason I don't buy a new bike. The good brakes would spoil me.
food for thought: r setup used the 57down bigtwn rear shoes and linings. these linings are same size as -64xl fronts, but different rivet pattern to give u idea of size. finding the cam and anchor is the tuffest parts. so what i did on some was to modify production backplate to accept bt cam, then made an anchor stud for bt on inside to sport bkplate. now all but anchor is readily aval. but anchor is easy to make. now 1 thing that make r setup work good is that the linings dont wrap all the way around drum surf like xl. this lets drum have area to cool cause it not constantly in contact with linings. now all this dont mean snot if u aint got the drum. or not. aftr i built a bunch of them i realizied that production drum, although it wont take 1 1/2 wide linings it would take 1 5/16. so on my bikes i took the bt shoe/lining and thined it down til it would fit prod drum. instant poor mans r style brake. as i all ready knew how to fit shoes to plate. takes bout 6 hrs machine time for each bike. was gonna get a do it ur self kit together, but never got off but to do it. no bs this setup gets 75% of full r setup performance. i even bought out "great life" of his hi perf woven linings. im not opposed to doin machine work if you gather all parts. like i said food for thought.
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th March 2011
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Hi Moon Wolf,

These are CH, XLR or KR tin covers, hard to say which one cause they're not quite the same!!!

It's actually a quick way to tell an XLR set of cases from an XLH/CH one without looking inside, the 10th screw in the middle top. The XL and CH don't have the boss indide the case to receive the extra screw so have only 9 screws.

To tell an XLR from a KR tin cover, the KR one has the 10th screw slightly ahead of where the XLR is. They moved the boss backward on the XLR to cope with the optional 34 teeth engine sprocket.

That's why you see some mid sixties tin covers with the place for the 10th screw stamped bigger than the others so it can be drilled to suit the KR and the XLR pattern, or left undrilled for XLH/CH!!!

Patrick
Old 8th March 2011

Great stuff, Patrick. Dr. Dick had said it was an "R" cover. Now, all I need is a set of cases to tell t he difference between the XLR and KR.
Old 8th March 2011
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Hi Moon, Hi Dick,

Seen that finned brake hub before, Dick, but, since we seem to be talking about rare race bits, what do you think of that one!!!

I bought it some 10 years ago, thinking it would fit nicely in the XLRTT, alas, it needs a special narrower spool rear hub that I could not find so I sold it on...

It's your std brake shell at 1st glance except for the 54R reinforced back plate, but it's machined with splines and for early 60s KRTT or XLRTT, fits only on the left hand side... It's not even listed in the numerous race parts catalogues I have...

Moon, it's DEAD EASY to spot KR from XLR cases, very different indeed... XLR against XLH/CH cases, needs a bit of practice but not that much!!!

Patrick
Old 9th March 2011

"Moon, it's DEAD EASY to spot KR from XLR cases, very different indeed... XLR against XLH/CH cases, needs a bit of practice but not that much!!!" --Frenchowl

I think I can tell the cases apart, but I was referring to distinguishing XLR and KR primary covers.
Old 9th March 2011

patrick ckeck it out. there is a kr on ebay rite now that has that rite side/wrong side brake jus like u got. that definitly is a r drum that has been mod u have. that r back plate will be bushed at cam bore. if its like all ive seen. u kno when i put that stuff on last nite, i lost the r cam on my desk somewhere. i saw it bout week ago. now? wanted show how every thing fit together.
Know Thy Hog