The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Burly
Progressive Suspension
Get Lowered
Fix My Hog

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Ninja 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about
Default XB - Short stroke with big bore???

Anybody done this?

I have an XB12R and someday (maybe next year???) I'd like to do the motor internally. I'd like to put in an XB9 flywheel assembly for the shorter with the big bore kit. I believe this basically stays 1200cc.

So, if I do this, throw on a Micron exhaust, a strip/street/race cam, and a stage 2 or 3 headjob, what kind of power can I expect and where? I dig the tourqie of the 12, but would like to add the revs of the 9. I basically don't want to have any less power than with the stock motor at any place in the rev range.

I think I'd like to shoot for 120-125rwhp. Is this going to be realistic and reliable?

I haven't been able to find any good dyno numbers on a big-bore XB9 that didn't have the 12 crank installed.
Old 11th March 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

The Mopar guys were all hot and bothered for years at shoving 440" cranks into 400" blocks as the "hot set-up". It turned out to be a fad that is mostly dead these days. If you are street riding, I'd suggest staying with the longer stroke for the edge in bottom end torque. Surely there can't be anything about an 88" Buell that won't keep you excited?
Old 11th March 2007
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Wood View Post
The Mopar guys were all hot and bothered for years at shoving 440" cranks into 400" blocks as the "hot set-up". It turned out to be a fad that is mostly dead these days. If you are street riding, I'd suggest staying with the longer stroke for the edge in bottom end torque. Surely there can't be anything about an 88" Buell that won't keep you excited?
a 440 crank in a .030 400 block with big block Chevy rods and a little ofset gring on the crank makes something like 572 cid.....agreed about keeping the longer stroke for much better driveability and lots more low RPM power

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 11th March 2007
Greasemonkey

Rocker59 is on a distinguished roadRocker59 is on a distinguished roadRocker59 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r View Post
Anybody done this?

I have an XB12R and someday (maybe next year???) I'd like to do the motor internally. I'd like to put in an XB9 flywheel assembly for the shorter with the big bore kit. I believe this basically stays 1200cc.

So, if I do this, throw on a Micron exhaust, a strip/street/race cam, and a stage 2 or 3 headjob, what kind of power can I expect and where? I dig the tourqie of the 12, but would like to add the revs of the 9. I basically don't want to have any less power than with the stock motor at any place in the rev range.

I think I'd like to shoot for 120-125rwhp. Is this going to be realistic and reliable?

I haven't been able to find any good dyno numbers on a big-bore XB9 that didn't have the 12 crank installed.
Go for it !!! Sounds like a great project !!!

I love the revvy characteristic of the 984cc Buell engine. Your idea of short stroke + big pistons to keep it 1200 sounds like a good recipe.

Should be a screamer !!! (If you're into that sort of thing)

Will be sorta like a Chevy 302 !!!

1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2004 Moto Guzzi LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873
Old 11th March 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerwill View Post
a 440 crank in a .030 400 block with big block Chevy rods and a little ofset gring on the crank makes something like 572 cid.....agreed about keeping the longer stroke for much better driveability and lots more low RPM power
Ww
I was referring to the stock 440" stroke (3.75") conversion so they could "fool" people into thinking they still had low-deck 400's. There was no power advantage over a 440" so it was a fad that quickly went away. Grinding the crank journals undersized to fit the 400" block was a waste of money.
Usually, outfitting motors with "odd" combinations has far less return of hp per dollar.
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th March 2007

xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Will be sorta like a Chevy 302 !!!
My thoughts exactly - I'm a HUGE DZ-302 fan.

Still no concrete numbers, but it seems some other folks have done the same recipie with good success on another Buell forum.

As far as keeping the long stroke for street riding - I agree this is better for the lower-end torque, but I'd be curious to see if this engine combination woudl really be lacking down low. My guess is not.

Trust me, 88" would be tons of fun, but 1200cc is just a magic number for me, and like I said before - I really dig the idea of big cube engines with slightly undersquare proportions.
Old 11th March 2007
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

How do you plan to raise the rev limit?

The 12's injectors and ecm are different. The 12's ecm controls the servo valve in the muffler as well.

Old 15th March 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
How do you plan to raise the rev limit?

The 12's injectors and ecm are different. The 12's ecm controls the servo valve in the muffler as well.
I would probably go for a Micron exhaust which elimiates the exhuast servo, and use an emulator to fool the ECM into thinking it was still there.

Or, just use the ECM from a 9 which already has the higher rev limit and no exhaust servo.

In either case, could direct link tuning not make this engine combination work?
Old 18th March 2007
Greasemonkey

Rigpa has disabled reputation

Or get an ECM from a XBRR Just joking...though it's using the 3.125 stroke and just over a 4 inch bore for about 82 inches. If the claimed > 150hp is correct that's quite impressive. Looks like they took a page from the XR750 design but though if claims of 100hp for the XR-750's are correct, it's hp/in3 ratio is still tops.

:tour '05 Sunglo Blue XL1200C, Hurricane Flow AC, SuperTrapp, Mikuni 42mm HSR carb., Progressive 12.5 440's
Old 18th March 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigpa View Post
Or get an ECM from a XBRR Just joking...though it's using the 3.125 stroke and just over a 4 inch bore for about 82 inches. If the claimed > 150hp is correct that's quite impressive. Looks like they took a page from the XR750 design but though if claims of 100hp for the XR-750's are correct, it's hp/in3 ratio is still tops.
No need to joke - from what I understand, you can order XBRR parts right from your dealer now! I think that ECM might run a tad rich though...
Know Thy Hog