The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 3  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
Licks Holiday
S&S Cycle

Superbrace
Tags
efi

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road
Default '06 Carb to '07 Fuel Injection Conversion

Before:

After:

Well I have to say it has been a journey. Not a hard one, but at times very frustrating. Most of the conversion issues I was prepared for but of course there’s the ones you don’t expect. I got tired of washing my hands to grab the camera, so this is not going to be a pictorial. I thought I’d go through the timeline followed up with observations and lessons learned. I’ll post each day (to Sunday June 29th) separately in this thread as I’m not sure what the max message size is.

April: Start collecting EFI parts for the bike. Find a seller on ebay with a complete ’07 tin set, harness and intake.

May: Ride to NC for the East Coast XL Rally, where my stator takes a dump Saturday evening. During a conversation with Chuck, he brings up the point that the ‘07s have a higher output stator to handle the EFI. Since dealer can’t replace the 06 with an 07 stator under warranty repair, it’s back to ebay for more shopping.

Continued:

[URL="http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=254258"]'06 Sportster 1200C w '07 EFI Conversion[/URL], SuperTrapp 2:2 exhaust and SE A/C

[URL="http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?p=1494819#post1494819"]Click here for a review[/URL] of my $30 LoJack and GPS tracking powered by [URL="http://www.instamapper.com"]InstaMapper.com[/URL]

[inwindow=350]www.instamapper.com/ext?key=1009428850281076753&width=500&height=300&zoom=13&units=imperial&coords=d[/inwindow]
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road
Default Friday evening June 20th

Up to this point, my only fear had been the stator swap. Mainly being able to break the main crankshaft nut loose. But if I do it myself, then I have an excuse to get a bigger torque wrench with the money saved from paying someone else to do it. I borrowed my buddy’s ¾” drive socket set and collected the primary gaskets from the dealer. Getting to the primary drive was a quick and easy disassembly. Survey the nut sizes and gap between the two sprocket for my shopping list.

Continued:
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Default Saturday June 21st

Run to Sears for ½” drive 250ft lb torque wrench and sockets. Stop by Home Depot for door hinge. The main nut turned out to be a 1 legged leg-press against a 2 foot breaker bar while pulling against the handlebars. For a split second I was having doubts that it was going to budge. The clutch hub nut was much easier. Maybe too easy, which makes me wonder if the dealer got the torque good and proper after my warranty repair…

I spent most of the day disassembling the bike, wiring harness, rear fender and other small stuff. I had plans for the night, so I didn’t get too far.

Pic of the 2 stators:

Lessons Learned:
  • You got to pull the battery tray to get the TSM connector out
  • Yes, a 4 inch $2.00 door hinge works just fine for locking the primary drive
  • Main crankshaft nut is 1-1/8”
  • Clutch hub nut is 1-3/16”
  • Ball end Allen keys are damn useful
Continued:

Last edited by 4-pac; 30th June 2008 at 06:14..
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Default Sunday June 22nd

Hmmm, the intake manifold Allen socket bolts are damn confined… Ahhh, I’ve got an idea:

I get the intake off and come to the single largest kink in my game plan. It dawns on me about the time I have the carb intake in one hand and the EFI intake in the other: the damn intake flanges are WAY different

Now I’m at a major turning point with two choices:
a) Throw everything in reverse and put it back the way it was
b) Find a set of ’07 heads…

A work, they like to call me “Cowboy”. A nickname for my reckless abandonment for shooting from the hip, figuratively speaking. I think they got me figured all wrong, besides why wouldn’t you want to tear down your bike 5 days before a 2500 mile road trip. So of course I hit ebay once again. Harley-Davidson of Bloomington has a Screaming Eagle 1200CC conversion kit about to end which was fairly easy to rationalize with the fact that it came with the gaskets and the SE A/C that I might need. Besides, I had a 10% PayPal coupon and I figured I can sell the jugs off if I want to recoup some cost…

Continued:
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Default Monday June 23rd

Call Harley dealer and speak with Jeff and John about my need to get the heads ASAP (at this point I still have plans to leave on Wednesday). They went the extra mile giving me a shipping quote for the heads Next Day and the rest ground, vs. the whole box Next Day. Which incidentally was a wash. Being impatient and on a deadline, I pull the six-shooters and go for next day…

I also exchanged email with American Classic Motors about the SuperTrapp 2x2 exhaust system I had ordered, but I’ll discus that in the proper thread.

My vacation doesn’t start till Wednesday, so I only get to work on the bike in the evening. Not much else to do but clean up and install the rear fender and back half of harness.

Lessons learned:
  • The whole battery tray, harness, oil line/tank area is way too crowded
  • Liquid thread loctite sucks. It always drips on the floor, never the threads
  • The new gel thread loctite ROCKS

Continued:

Last edited by 4-pac; 30th June 2008 at 06:14..
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Default Tuesday June 24th

Received SE kit via UPS. Can’t leave the office early cause we got the VP in from the corporate. That doesn’t stop me from tearing into the big box of goodies to survey my new heads. I noticed the rear head has a temp sensor installed. Nice treat since it takes a special O2 sensor style socket, but for a ½” nut which no one has (important point). Going through the parts, I come across the gasket kit. At that point I realize the rocker box cover gaskets are WAY different. Another trip to the dealer after work…

Spend the evening re assembling the motor top end. After buttoning it all up, my neighbor looks down and hands me a big piece of rocker cover gasket that had spit out of the groove during assembly.

Lessons Learned:
  • Drink in moderation while turning wrenches
  • Double check gasket placement before tightening parts
  • Triple check gasket placement if you choose to ignore the first lesson
  • The crankcase breather standoffs on the base of an EFI A/C are 1/8” shorter than one for a carb
Continued:

Last edited by 4-pac; 1st July 2008 at 01:13..
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Default Wednesday June 25th

Ok – I should be on the road, but I can get this all buttoned up today and leave a day late. Got me a new rocker box gaskets and UPS has delivered the exhaust. I get the engine buttoned back up. The new SuperTrapps installed (sweet). Then I’m off to install the front half of the main harness. During my parts collecting, I decided to go with a top mount speedo for the possibility of running a peanut tank. Not to mention I noticed they had changed the connector to the main harness from socket to pins and now use LEDs vs bulbs. I get the risers/bars/controls top end swapped out and go to plug in the instrument harness to the main and , I got two female connectors .

Figured I see if she’d run without the speedo hooked up, besides I had a feeling I was going to have to marry the TSM module to the ECM. Get everything hooked up, key on, flip the run button, hmmm right blinker is on. Hit the right blinker button and the electric fuel pump primes. I did re-terminate the right side with the ’07 connector and must have swapped wires. Pull the tank and swap the wires. Button it all back up, key on, run switch on, fuel pump primes and sprays fuel from the quick disconnect fitting

Temp speedo gasket:

Lessons Learned:
  • The Harley Parts Catalog has a lot of mistakes, especially after a big change in a model
  • Inspect a part when you get it to make sure it’s right
  • The speedo on a Custom does not have a rear gasket that’s needed on all the other speedo housings
  • A piece of ¼” silicon tubing will make a rear gasket for a speedo in a pinch
  • Double check wiring pin outs especially when it’s white wires with stripes
  • Things only go wrong after the parts places are closed

Continued:

Last edited by 4-pac; 30th June 2008 at 06:15..
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Default Thursday June 26th

Zanotti’s internet sales is damn near impossible to get a hold of by phone. When I did get to speak with someone, I received the SOP 4 to 5 days to get a part and they were not excited about taking the wrong part back since it had been opened. They did finally offer to get another part in ASAP under the “bike is down” clause. That would not have worked to well, since it’s based on supplying HD with a VIN number. They might have been a bit confused as to why I needed a ’07 instrument harness for my ’06 bike. Besides I would not have seen the part till Monday or Tuesday.

Plan “B” swap out the connector. Talk to my local dealer who did not have the part. He was nice enough to recommend a shop in Atlanta that showed to have them. A call to Killer-Creek H-D and I got me a connector and pins on the way.

Spend the rest of the evening jacking with the TSM/ECM marring process. Run through the process twice but it’s hard to tell without the speedo for feedback.

Lessons Learned:
  • Lube end of fuel line quick disconnect fitting before insertion
  • Harley-Davidson does not sell the o-ring for the quick disconnect fitting as a separate part
  • Advanced Auto Parts does have a 2mm dia, 14mm OD, 10mm ID o-ring that will do the trick
  • A gas tank with a vented cap will seep fuel all over the top on your mechanic stool when turned upside down
  • It’s hard to pour gas from one tank to another
  • It’s harder to wash the smell of gasoline out of your bluejeans when you fail at the previous lesson
  • When you get an ECM used, make sure you get the matching TSM or HFSS
  • If you do get a married TSM/HFSS ECM combo, make sure it comes with the antenna widget and a key fob
  • Starting a bike with a TSM that has not been married to the ECM will allow it to run for about 3 seconds
  • The starter button would fail to respond after what seemed to be three attempts at starting the bike with a TSM that had not been married to the ECM
  • Swapping a TSM module buried under the battery sucks
  • It takes 30 minutes to marry a TSM/ECM, heed the warning about running down the battery
I do want to say the folks at Zanotti’s were very helpful and offered to do everything within their ability. I’ll be happy to continue to do business with them.

Continued:
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Default Friday June 27th

Go to Advanced Auto Parts for a battery charger Go to the office to pickup connector delivered via UPS. Swap connector. Unplug headlight. Go through the TSM marring process for the 3rd time. Process is done. Hit the start button, bike RUNS

Take the bike out for a quick shakedown around the neighborhood. All I can say is she’s running GREAT. In 5 miles I’m happy to say it was all worth it. Get back to the garage and park the bike and I get a big puff of smoke off the rear exhaust. looks like an oil leak off the rear rocker cover. I give her 30 minutes to cool down while I’m kicking and cussing. Take the seat, gas tank and rocker cover off and I notice some oil spray on the temp sensor wire. So the leak must be coming from the inside. Closer inspection of the pushrod side of the rocker box (still installed) and I notice what looks like black RTV squished out between the head and rocker box. Then it ‘n dawns on me, I’ve clamped the ‘n temp sensor cable between the ‘n head and ‘n rocker box. And yes, I was way ’n pissed off

So what do I do lots of

Lessons Learned:
  • Again, things only go wrong after the parts places are closed

Continued:

Last edited by 4-pac; 30th June 2008 at 06:23..
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Default Saturday June 28th

Survey the damage done by the hard A$$ wire being clamped between the head and rocker box. Left nice indentions in both piece.

The gasket/sensor damage:

I cut the sensor leads at the sensor so I could get a regular socket on it. Fortunately I had purchased a new one not realizing I would be buying heads with a sensor. The replacement was screwed in finger tight with red loctite. That’s the best I could do without the socket…

Go the dealer and get another set of rocker box gaskets and the auto parts store for some Ultra Black Permatex RTV. Putting it all back together, I noticed one of the ¼-20 bolts just didn’t want to click the torque wrench and then SNAP

Good news, it broke a ¼” above the head, easy enough to remove with pliers. Off to go bolt hunting. Find some grade 8 bolts at Home Depot, about ¼” shorter. Get home and drop one through the rocker box and I still have 1/2” of thread engagement. It’s gonna have to do…

Plan to give the RTV a full 24 hours to cure. Might as well clean the bike and the garage up. Work on extending a tour pack rack for more space. A twist on Screw Loose Dan's extended tour pack rack. Not having access to a large piece of plate aluminum, I improvised by using a piece of 48" x 1" x 1/8" thick angle for Home Depot. Two 90 deg V cuts, two bends and 4 holes later...

Lessons Learned:
  • Working with a hangover is harder than working drunk
  • When you have an inch-pound and a foot-pound torque wrench at your feet, make sure you grab the right one when switching between fasteners
Continued:

Last edited by 4-pac; 30th June 2008 at 06:25..
Know Thy Hog