The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Progressive Suspension
Motor Stage
CV Performance
Lowbrow Customs

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1975 xlh 1000 ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 75
ridefree1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default starter problems

hey all, i am having a problem with my solenoid and starter relay. i had to rewire the bike due to shoddy work by someone else. wen i pus te starter button, it burns te wire from te olenoiid to te relay, im tinking i ave tem backwards, tried a few different ways, still burning, melting the wires, anyone ave a good pic to show how it goes, tis is a 75 ironead, tanks
Old 31st May 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda VTX 1800 Retro
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Jtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished roadJtrapass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridefree1 View Post
hey all, i am having a problem with my solenoid and starter relay. i had to rewire the bike due to shoddy work by someone else. wen i pus te starter button, it burns te wire from te olenoiid to te relay, im tinking i ave tem backwards, tried a few different ways, still burning, melting the wires, anyone ave a good pic to show how it goes, tis is a 75 ironead, tanks
haynes and clymer both have great pics and diagrams

you should have a beefy hot wire from the battery to one of the large nuts on the solenoid, then a beefy wire from the other large nut to the starter. You should have two smaller wires, a red from the same nut the battery's line is connected to and a black or some other color from the little brass stud on the solenoid running to the two larger connections on the relay. (the ordering doesn't matter here because it's just a switch). Then there's a smaller stud, probably brass as well, offset on the relay, run this to your starter button. Both of these get ground through the bolts that connect them to the battery box or chassis, so make sure they are firmly bolted down before attempting to use. If in doubt, add an alligator clip.

wrenching in my garage with a big stupid grin on my face.
Old 31st May 2008
Greasemonkey

Default thanks

alright im gonna go look at it again, i do notice that im missing the one wire on the lil' wire for the starter button, maybe i have them backwards, when i first hooked it up, i touched the ground to the battery, and it turned over without the key in, also melted the wires
Old 31st May 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Fe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really nice

Here is a generic wiring diagram that shows the basic layout. It may vary a little from your 1975 but the important part from the Battery through to the starter is the same.

The thickness of the red schematic lines is an indication of the size the wire should be.

The optimum for the battery's heavy leads is AWG #2 multiple braided automotive grade cables. These cables should be located in three places Battery +ve Battery -ve and Solenoid to Starter all with well crimped connectors that are best if soldered as well. Then the connection points need to be clean and shiny when clamped down. If you have some dielectric grease to smear over these terminals, nuts and/or bolts the corrosion will be greatly reduced.

Make sure the starter relay is well grounded and the leads comming to and leaving it are 16 Guage braided automotive wires as well.

Hope this gives you an idea and some clarity when checking out your situation.

Cheers;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generic HD Wiring Diagram.JPG (58.5 KB, 632 views)
Old 31st May 2008
Greasemonkey

hey man thanks, im about done !!!!ing with it for a few hours, gotta cool my jets, the pic is perfect, gives me a good idea now. thanks bro
Know Thy Hog

Old 31st May 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 70
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Softail Springer
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
SpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished road

ridefree1...

Another wiring diagram...

http://www.smokeriders.com/diagrams/...ater%20XLH.gif

Sam
Old 31st May 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Spree
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Shadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enough

I know this is crude, but I just made it because i know this is the type of thing I would need, and your bike is the same year as mine.

The positive battery cable goes to the top lug of the starter solenoid by the starter. Another wire goes from there to one of the main lugs on the starter relay (under battery) A wire then goes from there to the ignition, Then from there to the starter button. Then a wire goes from the starter button to one of the small leads on the starter relay (mine goes to the front but check because the other is shorted to ground internally) Then a wire goes from the other main lug on the relay to the small lug on the solenoid. Then a heavy cable goes form the other main lug on the solenoid to the starter. (clear as mud) I wonder if you are hooking the hot wire to the grounded lug on the relay? That would case it to burn up rather quickly.

Here is a crude picture that I made up from a couple photos of my bike.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Old 3rd June 2008
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
jagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enough

If you are melting wires like that then you have some kind of short. Either the relay is shorted or the wiring is shorted to ground somewhere.