The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
DK Customs
Zippers Performance
Superbrace.com

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
mamelukesword is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carb help

All,

2005 HD 883 Custom. Bike came from Guam in rough shape, though it ran good there. Sat for 2 years. I did the normal drain the tank, completely cleaned carb and jets.

Bike Starts and Idles great. Once warmed up and enricher is pushed all the way in it bogs down with throttle. If you hit it quick it does fine. smooth application of throttle creates the stumble (bog down) condition. I replaced the diaphragm and slide still nothing. It will run with about 1/4 enricher pulled out.

When looking at the carb there are two small vacuum holes on the air filter side (I have a pic, cant get it to load). If I plug the left hole the bike dies, but if I plug the left hole while operating the throttle the bike works great. Anyone now what would cause these symptoms?

Thanks in advance
Dennis
Old 5th July 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Don Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamelukesword View Post
Bike Starts and Idles great. Once warmed up and enricher is pushed all the way in it bogs down with throttle. If you hit it quick it does fine. smooth application of throttle creates the stumble (bog down) condition.

Thanks in advance
Dennis

Does it only do this when hot? If so check the diagnostics in your speedometer for a trouble code for a bad crank position sensor.
Old 5th July 2013
Biker

No it does it at start up. I have three sportsters so I know they are sensitive at start, I am about to throw in the towel and take it in. I prefer to do my own work. I will check the codes just in case, with the crank position sensor cause problems when cold?. Thanks
Old 5th July 2013

Don Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant future

I've never heard of the crank position sensor causing problems when cold, however I have heard of one not showing a trouble code when it was bad.
Old 5th July 2013
Biker

Checked the codes....none. How would I test the sensor if its not throwing a code?
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th July 2013

Quote:
Checked the codes....none. How would I test the sensor if its not throwing a code?
It's likely that your carb is the problem then. Replacing the sensor is the only way that I know how to test it. They cost about $50.00 at H-D dealers. I've never seen nor heard of one acting up when cold but it might be possible to have an atypical one.
Old 6th July 2013
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All,

2005 HD 883 Custom. Bike came from Guam in rough shape, though it ran good there. Sat for 2 years. I did the normal drain the tank, completely cleaned carb and jets.

Bike Starts and Idles great. Once warmed up and enricher is pushed all the way in it bogs down with throttle. If you hit it quick it does fine. smooth application of throttle creates the stumble (bog down) condition. I replaced the diaphragm and slide still nothing. It will run with about 1/4 enricher pulled out.

When looking at the carb there are two small vacuum holes on the air filter side (I have a pic, cant get it to load). If I plug the left hole the bike dies, but if I plug the left hole while operating the throttle the bike works great. Anyone now what would cause these symptoms?

Thanks in advance
Dennis
Those two holes sound like the air bleeds. The one on the left feeds the pilot jet cavity. The one on the right (center of the carb) feeds the main emulsion tube. By blocking the one on left you are cutting off the air that is mixed into the pilot circuit, so you are in effect making it richer. This is saying that the pilot circuit may be lean (DIRTY). Did you pull the pilot jet out and clean it thoroughly including all the little holes in the side of the stem that sticks out of it? That is a mini emulsion tube and if the holes are plugged it will starve it for air (the opposite of what it appears to be), and if the jet itself is partially plugged it will improve with less air like you just did, but I would start there, and make sure every small hole in the carb body is totally clean and passes air. (I spray carb cleaner through every one of them to double check and make sure it comes out the other end good).

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 6th July 2013

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Quote:
This should indicate too XXXX, CORRECTION : I SHOULD HAVE SAID RICH, at idle. It's possible to have a clogged idle jet, but leaky enrichener to keep it running at idle. Check float level, slide height at idle,and make sure you get a response to the idle mixture screw. If you do, set it to 2 1/2 turns out and leave it there until you find and fix the problem, If the idle does not respond to moving the idle mixture screw, you have to find and fix that problem. Maybe intake manifold seals are leaking.

I'm not sure about the vacum hoses. Check a parts book diagram.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.

Last edited by XLXR; 7th July 2013 at 18:20..
Old 6th July 2013
Biker

Thanks for the inputs. I have had the carb apart 4 times to clean. I will clean it again this weekend, paying special attention to the pilot jet. Float level and Slide level are good. Carb responds to inputs in the screw, so I set it at 2 1/2. I am also going to replace the seal between the carb and Intake. Right now everything is just a best guess. Bike runs normal with just a little 1/4 inch enricher pulled out. What are the symptons of a leaky enricher?

Dennis
Old 6th July 2013
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

The hole at 10 oclock in the face of the carb is the "Bowl Vent" and must not be blocked.

Is the needle jet in correct ? Long side up ?
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil